PROJECT FCDS – RFN (Rainforest Foundation Norway)
RFN is a Norwegian NGO that supports indigenous and campesino communities residing in tropical rainforests in their efforts to protect these ecosystems and protect their rights. This initiative is part of the work that FCDS has been developing in the area of management of socio-environmental conflicts in the Amazon, aiming to:
Hold back the agricultural frontier, protect ecosystems, and create the conditions for the consolidation and sustainable development of the rural population (campesinos, settlers, and indigenous peoples) living in the area surrounding the Serranía de Chiribiquete National Park.
The aim is to promote the take up of a land management model that prioritizes socio-environmental management, in addition to designing and consolidating a conservation mosaic that combines land reserved for conservation and for sustainable use. For this proposal to succeed, it will require the cooperation of various donors, the continuous participation of key stakeholders, and capacity building for institutions and the community.
- Strengthening the governability of territorial, environmental, and sectoral authorities.
- Strengthening the governance of local organizations and communities.
- Support for the coordination of institutions responsible for the regulation of land ownership and tenure.
- Promotion of sustainable land-use models (diversified community forestry (timber, non-timber, ecotourism, etc.) and agroforestry systems as a step towards forest conversion reversal).
- Coordination and shared sectoral responsibility between public bodies and the private sector to create conditions in which the sustainable production model with community participation can be viable and sustainable.
Supervision and monitoring of:
- the production model
- investment (public and private)
- the planning and development of sectoral projects.